Monday, December 17, 2012

A Gladiator, Tardis, and The Great Liebster Award


This author has been given the honor of being nominated for the Liebster Awaard. I was nominated by Mary Ann Bernal, author of the Briton of Dane series. This award is a fantastic opportunity for the nominees to share a part of who they are outside of their usual posts.

Let’s start the fun with 11 questions from Mary Ann to her nominees.

1.  Tell us about any fun or unusual thing that has happened to you since you became a published author.
I think the most fun I have as an author is attending events. It’s great to talk to readers and authors see the displays and enjoy the different talks or workshops going on. I always learn something new to take away from each event.

2.  Are there any characters, fictional or otherwise, that you'd like to run away with in one of your novels?
I’d love to spend some time ghost hunting with Aaron Hewitt, parapsychologist from my first novel In the Dark. Aaron is smart, sexy, sweet, and dedicated to his studies and those he loves.

3.  Your favorite author has a new book that has been made into a motion picture.  Will you read the book before you see the movie?  If so, why or why not?
Yes! Reading the book before hand makes me feel like I’ve got the inside scoop. There are some things you can’t always put on film, like a character's inner thoughts. The reason behind an action or decision may not be completely clear, but in the book you may have gotten to ‘hear’ those inner thoughts or fears leading to it, giving more impact.

4.  Doctor Who's infamous telephone booth (TARDIS*) is outside your door.  What will you do?
*Time and Relative Dimension in Space time machine and spacecraft
Run inside and let the Doctor know his companion is ready for adventure. Doctor, can we go see the gladiators first? I’m sure the Cybermen won’t attack until we can get back.

5.  Your cover as a government operative has been blown and capture is imminent.  Facing torture and death, your choices are:  a) take the L-pill (cyanide), b) take your chances and make a run for it, c) give up, but agree to be turned, d) feign submission and release your grip on a grenade hidden in your jacket pocket.  What is the right answer, or is there one?
Gather what intell I can on my way out and run like hell. No sir, she went *points down opposite hall… that way.

6.  Do you prefer to cook or eat out?
I enjoy cooking, but I also enjoy someone else having to do the cleaning up :)

7.  You're marooned on a desert island with all the amenities of home, except company.  If you could invite one person to join you, who would you choose?
Just ONE? I would have to say my Sis Rose, we talk and write together every day. She’s my lifeline to sanity some of those lol. If I can sneak someone else it would be Russell Crowe, do I really need to expand on that?  Tee hee

8.  Who is your favorite sports team?
I have two both Rugby :) South Sydney Rabbitohs and the Jacksonville Axemen. I started to check out the sport when Russell Crowe bought interest in the Bunnies. Yes, very fangirl thing to do :). But I started watching the games and learning a bit and fell in love. It’s a kick ass (literally) sport. I was able to see the Bunnies in action one time, when they came to Jacksonville for an exhibition game with the Leeds Rinos and our very own Axemen. I don’t think I’ve ever screamed and cheered that much at a game. Lol. These men don’t wear pads, you can hear the impact of the hits up in the stands, so you know they’re not just taking it easy. Awesome experience I hope soon to repeat.

9.  If you could assume the persona of your favorite hero/heroine, who would that be?
Robin Hood. Okay maybe a lil corny, but he’s been my hero since I was a kid. A man who stands up for all that’s just. A man who will do anything to protect his love and his people.

10.  Do you prefer to read, listen to music or watch a movie?  Depending on your choice, what is your favorite book, song, film?
Another hard one, I really don’t have a preference, it depends on my mood and what I’m doing so I’ll list a fave for each one :)  Book fave, Aubrey- Maturin Series by Patrick O’Brian. *sighs Jack :)  Song: I don’t think I actually have a fave song. I love big band music though, it makes me smile and tap my toes.  Film: I have two, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World and High Spirits. Bet you thought I would say Gladiator. :)

11.  Lastly, if you were permitted to choose which century you could live in, which era would you choose and why?
I think I would have to say the 1800s Life was hard back then, especially for women, but the nation was growing and changing quickly it would be an awesome thing to see and be apart of that history.

Now for the 11 Random Facts about Elise VanCise
1. I have been a huge Elvis fan all my life I have almost every book written about him and made my dad take me to Graceland when I was 14.
2. I was a volunteer firefighter
3. I lived 4 blocks from Johnny Depp in Mirimar, Florida when I was a kid.
4. I love ghost stories, can’t get enough of them
5. One of my favorite destinations is St. Augustine, Florida. Oldest city in the US and very haunted :)
6. My First Doctor was Number 4, Tom Baker.
7. Museums are some of my favorite places to explore.
8. My first job was the camera department of Eckard Drugs
9. I collect pencils from all the places I visit
10. I am also a photographer. Check out my photos on Redgage
11. I write for Examiner Travel and DVD articles so go here and subscribe ;)

Now for the fun part passing this prestigious award along to fellow writers/bloggers. Nominees for the Liebster Award are….


And here are the 11 Questions for my nominees

1. In your writing, what do you feel is your greatest strength and weakest point?
2. Do you have a favorite writing tool?
3. If you could have a writing retreat anywhere in the world, where would it be?
4. Dark Chocolate or Milk Chocolate?
5. What do you think of the 50 Shades of Grey phenomenon?
6. Do you have a favorite character, from books (your own or others), movies, or television and what makes them your fave?
7. Do you prefer character driven or plot driven stories?
8. Kindle or Nook?
9. How do you deal with a bad review or critique?
10. What book/s are you reading now?
11. Zombies attack, you can use 3 things from where you are sitting right now to defend yourself. What are they and could you survive?

Now the torch has been passed and the muse awaits me in the arena to battle the empty page. *Grabs gladius and looks around…. Now where did I put that shield?
You really didn't think I'd let the opportunity to post a gladiator pass now did ya?  *big grin* 


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the nomination! If you want to see how I answered please feel free to drop by and see me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Amber,thanks for the giveaway.

    dragonkeep62(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great answers - and just for the record I also love Russell Crowe since his "Quick and the Dead" role.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for your comment!