Monday, February 27, 2012

Author Chat with CP Bialois Author of Call of Poseidon

Gladiator's Pen welcomes Author CP Bialois to the Ludis! Refill your mug and sit back as we chat with the author of Call of Poseidon. 

Who is CP Bialois:
 I was born and raised in Pennsylvania and as a child I got into everything. Mostly things I shouldn’t have. To keep me out of trouble, and to save their sanity, my dad tried to get me interested in various things. Being all boys like army, construction, cowboys and indians, and superhero toys. He used them and movies to help me find an interest aside from tearing the house apart. It worked but no more so than when we began learning to read in school.

For me “Watch Spot run” didn’t hold my interest so I struggled to learn to read because of it. I wanted fun things to do and to his credit my father bought a stack of comic books and began teaching me to read with those. The teachers couldn’t believe how I went from one of the worst readers to one of the best because of comics and I’m sure she’s still in disbelief to this day. If she remembers me.

Since then I’ve written short stories here and there on various topics until one day I broke through the thirty page barrier and wrote my first novel. I still don’t know how I did it, but thanks to the support of my wife and friends I now have several books ready to be edited and published over the next year or two.

Are you a full time writer or do you bring home the bacon with a “day job”?
 I’m a full time writer but I’m also looking for something to help subsidize what I’m doing. I’ve also taken up editing, reviewing, and doing what else I can to help other authors achieve their goals.

Most writers are avid readers, do you prefer to read the same genre you write in?
 Yes and no. There’s no question that if you want to write something you have to read book in that genre to understand it better but my interests are all over the place. I do try to read similar works to what I’m working on in an effort to keep me motivated but I’ve found, for me at least, that reading out of the box stimulates me more and adds to the story.

What was the first story you ever wrote?
 Wow, that goes back a long way. I’d have to say it was a two pager about the Transformers after I saw the episodes “The Return of Optimus Prime”. It was about the potential for their war to be over and to finally have peace.

Do you outline or fly by the seat of your pants?
 I use a combination of both. I know in my mind how I want the story to start, what I want to happen, and how to end it but the rest I let it go and see where the story takes me. Often times it creates a major headache with continuity when its time to edit.

Describe your writing place? (you can provide a pic if you like)
 In general I can write anywhere but I prefer the local library or Starbucks. As long as I can sit comfortably with my headphones I’ll pound out a story.

Tell us about your latest release, Call of Poseidon.
 In Call of Poseidon, a conch shell that allows the person holding it to summon the power of Poseidon resurfaces in the Museum of Natural History in New York.

The night of a preview showing, an Illuminati agent steals the Conch shell Poseidon gave to his children ruling Atlantis to return it to it’s proper owners. To catch them a disgruntled police detective and a rookie FBI agent  are teamed together to find the agent and conch shell before it’s too late.

Where did the inspiration for this book come from?
 I’ve always been a big fan of mythology, Greek, Roman, and Norse so one day I was kicking around an idea about bringing it into the current day. It originally was a short story idea that developed into something more than I expected.

Did you learn something new about yourself or writing while working on this novel?
 Definitely. The biggest experience was that I could write a novel. Before all I could write was a maximum of thirty to forty pages. When the last page was done it was like a restraint disappeared for good.

What authors have influenced your own writing?
 For me Stephen King, Sue Grafton, Margaret Weiss, Tracy Hickman, Tom Clancy, and Mark Twain are at the top of the list.

What is your favorite coffee house drink or treat?
 Mochafrappucino from Starbucks. It can’t be beat.

Do you have any works in progress for us to look for in the future?
 The Sword and the Flame series scheduled to begin publishing towards the end of March. It’s a two book fantasy series in the vein of Dungeons and Dragons and Dragonlance. I’m also editing a science fiction novel called The Last World where Earth is the final existing colony from a once galaxy sized empire of humans. 

What would you like to say to your readers and/or fellow writers?
 I hope they enjoy my work as much as I do creating it.

Where to find CP Bialois and his books.
Twitter: @cpbialois




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and for your comment!